TREHA Trehalose Sugar
TREHA™ trehalose is a versatile ingredient that enhances and intensifies certain flavours to bring out the best in your products.
Trehalose is a naturally occurring, multi-functional sugar with nearly half the sweetness of sucrose. It is a carbohydrate (disaccharide) that is found in nature and is present in mushrooms, baker’s yeast and honey.
- Produced from non-GM starch using non-GM enzymes
- May be used as part of natural flavour systems
- Recognized as GRAS by the Flavour and Extract Manufacturers Association of the U.S. (FEMA); FEMA GRAS is recognized in Mexico; other geographies pending
- FDA GRAS for food and beverage use in the U.S.
Why do you use Trehalose?
- Enhances flavour in fruits, especially citrus, and highlights foods’ inherent saltiness, which can enable reduced sodium content
- Reduces bitterness of potassium chloride in low-sodium formulations
- Masks off-notes in both flavours and odours, including proteins, vitamins, minerals and high-intensity sweeteners
- Protects flavour stability and quality throughout processing and shelf life
TREHA™ trehalose can be incorporated into a wide variety of applications and is GRAS up to the use levels specified below. In addition, trehalose offers a range of functional benefits to improve your processes:
- Highly soluble
- Heat/acid resistance
- Compatible with other ingredients