For all the milk tea fans who wants to make their own drink, or desserts with this nostalgic flavour, our Broken Orange Pekoe black tea leaves are convenient choices.
The tea leaves are "broken" to provide the larger surface area needed for a full bodied tea base that, when added with evaporated milk or creamer, creates the distinct flavours of Hong Kong style milk tea or Taiwanese bubble tea.
Orange Pekoe -- the "orange" refers to the copper colour of the brew, while "Pekoe" is from "white hair" in Cantonese, referring to the tiny hair on the newly sprouted tea leaves -- is the generic black tea that is famously produced in Sri Lanka and exported worldwide. The generic ones may be called Ceylon black tea, but the ones produced in specific regions get the names of their origins: Assam, Darjeeling, etc.
Conventionally, Broken Orange Pekoe (BOP) is graded as these:
- BOP / Coarse: larger granules providing fragrance and smooth taste
- BOPF / Fanning: smaller granules providing both aroma and body
- BOPD / Dust: powder like granules providing deep colour and astringency
- Dosage for drinking: 10 g of tea leaves for 500 ml of water
- Steep at 90C for 5-20 minutes or rinse leaves with hot tea between kettles
Product of Sri Lanka
Many products we sell at Gusta Supplies are exactly what we use in class -- authentic ingredients and professional-grade tools used in high end hotels and restaurants. We hope you enjoy using these products as much as our chefs favour them.
Inventory Last Updated: Mar 24, 2023