For all the milk tea fans who wants to make their own drink, or desserts with this nostalgic flavour, our Broken Orange Pekoe black tea leaves are convenient choices.
The tea leaves are "broken" to provide the larger surface area needed for a full bodied tea base that, when added with evaporated milk or creamer, creates the distinct flavours of Hong Kong style milk tea or Taiwanese bubble tea.
Orange Pekoe -- the "orange" refers to the copper colour of the brew, while "Pekoe" is from "white hair" in Cantonese, referring to the tiny hair on the newly sprouted tea leaves -- is the generic black tea that is famously produced in Sri Lanka and exported worldwide. The generic ones may be called Ceylon black tea, but the ones produced in specific regions get the names of their origins: Assam, Darjeeling, etc.
Conventionally, Broken Orange Pekoe (BOP) is graded as these:
- BOP / Coarse: larger granules providing fragrance and smooth taste
- BOPF / Fanning: smaller granules providing both aroma and body
- BOPD / Dust: powder like granules providing deep colour and astringency
- Dosage for drinking: 10 g of tea leaves for 500 ml of water
- Steep at 90C for 5-20 minutes or rinse leaves with hot tea between kettles
Product of Sri Lanka
At Gusta Supplies, we curate our selection to reflect innovations and trends our customers appreciate. As much as we pride ourselves in providing ingredients and tools for your everyday kitchen needs, we also offer one-of-a-kind items hardly available in the market. We hope you find this as exciting as we do.
Inventory Last Updated: Jul 05, 2022